COVID-19 Update: How We Are Serving and Protecting Our Clients
Published on:

Changing Your Name After a Divorce

Divorce can involve many complicated legal filings and administrative tasks. One important task that should not be ignored is changing your name back to your maiden name if you wish to do so. While name changes have traditionally been associated with women, this is no longer the case since the legality of same-sex marriage and trends in recent years of combining last names or of husbands taking the last name of their wives.

Legally changing your name back can include many different steps, including the following:

  • Requesting an official name change in your divorce petition, so the final divorce decree includes a court order allowing you to change your name back;
  • If your divorce decree does not include a name change order, you will need to file a Florida Petition for a Name Change to get a court order by that method;
  • Collect the following documents in order to update your name on official documents:
    • A certified copy of the court order for the name change;
    • Proof of your identification (passport or state-issued ID); and
    • Proof of age (birth certificate, certificate of foreign birth, or adoption order).
  • Use the above documents to change your name on your social security card, driver’s license, passport, and any other necessary forms of identification.
  • Use your new documentation to change your name on bank accounts, credit accounts, with your employer for payroll, utilities, and any other relevant accounts.

Forgetting to request a name change order in your divorce petition does not mean you will not be able to change your name. However, it will add to the administrative and legal steps you will need to complete in the already complex divorce process. Having a highly experienced divorce attorney handling your case will help ensure the divorce process goes as smoothly and efficiently as possible.

Should You Change Your Name Back?

There are many factors to consider when deciding whether to go through the name change process following a divorce. If you have children with your former spouse, you should decide whether you want to keep the same last name as your children, since their legal names will not change in most circumstances. Changing a name back can help some divorced individuals to regain their sense of identity apart from their dissolved marriage. However, once you return to your maiden name, it is a legal action that is very difficult to undo, so the decision must be considered carefully. A qualified lawyer can help you make the right decision for you.

Discuss Your Divorce Case With a Boca Raton Family Law Attorney

Ending a marriage is a complicated legal matter and there are often many issues that require attention. For people without legal training, the entire process may seem complicated and difficult to navigate. Fortunately, the assistance of an experienced Boca Raton divorce attorney can make your divorce go as smoothly as possible and help ensure that any contested issues are resolved as favorably as possible. To schedule a free consultation with Florida attorney Alan R. Burton, call our office today at 954-229-1660.

Contact Information